5. What are your initial thoughts on teaching climate change?

Earth Systems and Climate....thoughts

Earth Systems and Climate....thoughts

by Joselyn Hermoso -
Number of replies: 2

There are some ways you could connect Earth systems and climate change topics to my  current curriculum and it is on our Unit called-  Matter and Energy in Organism. Part of this unit talks includes about Air, Climate, and Nutrient Cycles as well as photosynthesis and respiration. 

Some examples of climate change evidence to my to students/visitors would respond to or be witnesses to in their our  communities are: global warming which is caused by burning of fossil fuels, deforestation and carbon dioxide emissions. Another one is the change in temperature where we gets warmer or cooler which affects the weather patterns.  

In reply to Joselyn Hermoso

Re: Earth Systems and Climate....thoughts

by Elise Trelegan -

It sounds like climate education fits perfectly into the Matter and Energy unit. Do you feel like your students are already aware that climate change is human-caused? If so, you have a leg up on many others! I'm sure being so close to Ellicott City these past few weeks have people concerned/considering why it is that were seeing these intense precipitation events. Was this a topic of conversation in your school?

In reply to Elise Trelegan

Re: Earth Systems and Climate....thoughts

by Joselyn Hermoso -

Good morning and thanks. 

I feel my students are aware that the climate change are human- caused. When we did our lesson about  Cycles, my students  were able to identify the cause of global warming (their  responses were pollution and smoke from cars/ factories). 

My students were able to talk about the recent situation in Ellicott City as part of their normal conversation. When I asked them, what are some cause of increase flooding, one student said: trash accumulation. Personally, I even asked one of my friends this question: What's in Ellicott City's geographical location has something to do with the flooding? Also, I compared it to my country of origin where floods and typhoons are very common during summer time. However, I am not sure if the entire school is talking about  what had happened in Ellicott City as part of their content.