5. What are your initial thoughts on teaching climate change?

Inital thoughts

Inital thoughts

by Matthew O'Connor -
Number of replies: 2

I think I will be able to connect both the earth systems and climate change subject into my already developed APES curriculum. I think with the right resources I will be able to reach more students and possibility with access to or computer models, students will be able to interact with the subject matter and see the impacts it is having on them.

I think the major evidence would come from sea level rise in the Chesapeake Bay and Ocean City. These are two areas where my students recreate and they have already seen some problems with those areas already. Another topic which may grab my students is the increase in weather events and changes in the overall climate in the area over time. Most of them in their lifetime have experienced the warmest years on record and they can attest to how that has impacted them. 

In reply to Matthew O'Connor

Re: Inital thoughts

by Elise Trelegan -

I love that you're talking about these specific places - the Chesapeake Bay and Ocean City - as locations that are likely important to your students. I've heard this described as "the third place" - essentially a location that is meaningful to a person that isn't their home or work (places one and two, respectively). Thinking in terms of this, students would naturally be concerned about changes that impact these resources throughout their lifetime. Great connection! 

In reply to Matthew O'Connor

Re: Inital thoughts

by Roger Lucas -

Your ideas on using the students environment to share climate change with students is excellent. In this way, students would be able to appreciate the connections of their learning to their immediate surroundings. Thanks for sharing.