5. What are your initial thoughts on teaching climate change?

Climate Change and agriculture

Climate Change and agriculture

by rachael coffey -
Number of replies: 3

I have taught AP Environmental Science and cover climate change pretty well, however, after completing the assignments I have even more points I would share with students. I now teach Agricultural Science and will be teaching an Introduction to Food, Ag, and Natural Resources and the climate change topic fits perfectly. We discuss the different spheres and the connection between them and we will definitely be modeling the effects of drought on agricultural crops and predicting the effects on animals. 

We have had more "inclement weather" days off from school in the past few years and students are very aware of that. The students are in school later this year due to snow, ice, and even a WIND day. They are seeing the extremes of weather and notice that it is different then when they were in elementary school.  Connecting a warming planet to these effects is a sure way to get them engaged in climate change literacy. 

In reply to rachael coffey

Re: Climate Change and agriculture

by Caitlin Hochuli -

I like that you're connecting several different concepts into one, and you're involving real events in your students' lives.  We've missed several days last year due to hurricanes and a snow storm, and my students were definitely buzzing about it.  That's the perfect opportunity to go back and look at extreme weather events and connect to our changing climates! Awesome!

In reply to rachael coffey

by Elise Trelegan -

Rachael, as you've probably seen reading through some of the other discussions, it seems that agriculture and climate is a theme this year. Perhaps you might consider trying to meet up with some of the others who are considering this in their courses as well. Will this be your first year teaching Intro to Food, Ag, and Nat Resources? I agree there are great connections between the different spheres and that "draw a model" activity that you completed during this lesson can be a great assessment tool for your students to show increased understanding. 

In reply to Elise Trelegan

by rachael coffey -

Yes, this will be my first year teaching the Food, Ag, and Natural Resources course. I am looking forward to it as I think it will be a great opportunity to discuss/explore SUSTAINABLE agriculture and compare it to modern agriculture. The first time teaching a course always has a steep learning curve but having a taught most of the concepts and attempted to live "light" on the planet, I am really excited about it!