Local Impacts Discussion

Local Impacts

Local Impacts

by Roger Lucas -
Number of replies: 4

Our school is within the city. It it highly urbanized, thickly populated, cars and other motorized vehicles are everywhere, mostly paved or asphalted, and the demands for water and electricity are very high. For a decade of staying in the city, I experienced flash floods with strong and continues rain with high speed wind that happens in a short span of time. Also, destructive hurricane like Sandy, blizzard conditions during winter. Summers are very hot and there are times that winters are in sub-zeros.

Since our area is highly urbanized, there are more contributors of greenhouse gases, less trees to utilize carbon dioxide, more people to consume electricity, light buildings where people work, factories that contribute greenhouse gases to the atmosphere. Earth surface are generally covered with cement and asphalt which causes flooding even with small rain in a short span of time and also warmer during the day because cement and asphalt absorb heat faster than the ground covered with vegetation.

With these, my students can read news papers about weather conditions, read books and magazines about climate change, watch videos/news about the increasing environmental temperature and its impact. Students can also make investigation about permeability of the ground surface, how storm drain are made in the city, energy consumption of the school (includes both electricity and water consumption). My students students will plan on "Less Energy Day: No Projectors and Computer Day" and also "School Paperless Day".

In reply to Roger Lucas

Re: Local Impacts

by Tiamo Johnson -

Hi Roger,

I like your ideas on the student friendly actions that students can apply to do their part in reducing the impact of climate change.  I will be working with middle and high school students this summer and would like to also address with students how politics plays a part in the change that's necessary for the future of the Earth's climate.

- Tiamo

In reply to Roger Lucas

by Elise Trelegan -

Lots of great ideas here Roger! I'm excited to see if there are others who are working in urban areas who might be considering similar investigations for their students. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

In reply to Roger Lucas

by Kayry Segarra -

I think getting student involvement to analyze their own personal energy consumption and try to plan how to reduce energy consumption at school is a great idea. 

In reply to Roger Lucas

by SEQUOIA WRIGHT -

I think that these are great ideas. I wonder if there is a way to test the air quality around the school as it relates to cars and compare it to the air quality in other cities or other areas that are less populated with cars.