5. What are your initial thoughts on teaching climate change?

Initial Thoughts on Teaching Climate Change

Initial Thoughts on Teaching Climate Change

by Kherry Guy -
Number of replies: 2

My initial thoughts about teaching climate change are focused on the seasonal changes that we have experienced over the past few years. I have noticed that winter is lasting longer which in turn the other seasons are getting a later start than previously documented. For example, in March 2018 our region experienced significant snow fall. It was enough to close schools for two days in my county. This storm began on what we know to be the first day of Spring. Previously in this area, the temperatures are well above the freezing mark and we will see more rain than snow. As a result, the area experienced low temperatures through April and May.

This school year, the fourth graders at my school had regular discussions about how they have noticed the seasonal changes over the past five years (since they have been in school). Based on what the students could remember,  the general consensus was that there was not any snow after February and by April the temperatures were always warm enough to be outside for extended recess. They noted that this year they could not go out side enough until May because it was not warm enough.

In reply to Kherry Guy

Re: Initial Thoughts on Teaching Climate Change

by Kayry Segarra -

I think it's a great idea to tie in real-life experiences to your lessons. Students retain information better when they can relate to it. 

In reply to Kherry Guy

Re: Initial Thoughts on Teaching Climate Change

by SEQUOIA WRIGHT -

It's interesting that students would relate their knowledge of climate change to the number of snow days that they have in a school year. I think it would also be interesting for them learn the ways in which climate change can cause more sever winter storms as well since we don't often equate global warming with harsh winters.