Integrating Action within programming

Encouraging Student Action

Encouraging Student Action

by Tiamo Johnson -
Number of replies: 3

I would like to take an approach to encourage student action that begins with the individual and then spans out to their family, and their school/local community.  We would start with a conversation on their thoughts on what they think they can do to help the problem.  I love the work that individuals are doing in creating greener cities in Philadelphia.  I would guide the students in determining what can be done in their area, and I would introduce the students to the local chapter of the Citizen's Climate Lobby in order to help spring board their ideas.

- Tiamo

In reply to Tiamo Johnson

Re: Encouraging Student Action

by Elise Trelegan -

I like that you're already considering groups to partner with, Tiamo! Sounds like a great civic action project is brewing...!

by Kherry Guy -

Tiamo,

I think that it is important that the community and parents get involved. The students need to receive support on academics that goes beyond the classroom. Getting all stakeholders involved not only holds the students accountable, but the others in the community as well.

by Jaime Johnson -

That is an awesome idea.  I typically only focus on getting my students to change their mindset, but you are absolutely right the students need to spread their ideas with the people that they are closest to.