2. Introduction of Academy Colleagues

Greetings to All!

Greetings to All!

by Kherry Guy -
Number of replies: 5

Good Morning,

My name is Kherry Guy and I currently work in Prince George's County Maryland. I work for P.G.C.P.S. and I am completing year 9 within the county. I am originally from New York City and decided to make my stay in Maryland permanent after graduating from undergrad. I am a mother of 2 boys and I am an avid football fan. (Super Bowl LII Champs are my team).

For the first 8 years of teaching, I taught fourth grade math and science. I also served as the Science department chair person for 4 years. Although the subject is taught, I did not feel that there was enough emphasis on the importance of science in the fourth grade because it is not tested. (State Tested). I am currently out of the classroom setting serving as the data coach, testing coordinator, and TAG coordinator for my school. I am considered a part of the schools' leadership team and I work closely with the 4th grade teachers to plan lessons for math and co-teaching lessons as well. Seeing testing first hand solidifies my thoughts about science in the classroom. I would like to do more for the science component in the fourth grade to prepare the students for testing in the fifth grade.

Through my participation in the climate academy, I hope to be able to gain information in order to be able to teach biweekly lessons in the 4th grade classes in the upcoming school year. This will allow me to continue to work closely with the teachers and giv e the students lessons that are outside of the regular curriculum.

I look forward to working with everyone.

In reply to Kherry Guy

Re: Greetings to All!

by Kayry Segarra -

Hi Kherry!

(I'm from Philadelphia, also an Eagles fan!!!)

I am really glad to see an elementary teacher in the program. I am a high school teacher, and was also a middle school teacher prior to this and it's really frustrating when students show up with little or no prior knowledge. I love when elementary educators make science a priority. 

In reply to Kherry Guy

by Pat Harcourt -

Hello Kherry, and welcome! I appreciate your thoughtful remarks about the need to bring more science and engineering practices into elementary level science. We have some other elementary level teachers in the Academy, so we encourage you to work together when and if it will help each other in planning to bring climate change content, data, and investigations into classes. I also greatly appreciate that you will be able to share information, approaches,  and resources with your colleagues at school - that is a great help to increase the reach of climate change education!

Pat

In reply to Kherry Guy

by Annale Carlos -

Hi Kherry!

I am happy to know that an elementary teacher who is passionate in teaching science will join the academy. I am a 6th grade teacher and based from experience I agree with Kayry, that it's really frustrating when students enter 6th grade science with little or no prior knowledge. Having a teacher like you who make science a priority will pave a smooth and good start to teach science with them. I'm looking forward meeting you.

Annale

In reply to Kherry Guy

by Amy Fuentes -

Yay! Elementary! I can't wait to share ideas with you.  It's so frustrating that there are so few professional development activities available to elementary school teachers. I feel as if it is my responsibility to get my students comfortable with their skills in the eight science and engineering practices, yet there is so little training available.  

In reply to Kherry Guy

by Twanneshia Thomas -

Hi Kherry. I am so glad that you brought up this issue. It seems like in Elementary School there are not many options for the youth to explore different subjects such as arts, music, or science. My step-son loves doing science projects with me at home