Integrating Action within programming

My Action Component

My Action Component

by Kathy Clowe -
Number of replies: 4

For the past two years, I have my students do a school report card evaluating how good of a job our school is doing in certain environmental areas.  (energy, resource consumption, erosion, purchasing, biophilia....) This year, we are going to do this at the start of the year (rather than on earth day), and we are going to use the data that we gather to drive our action steps.  I have lists and lists and lists of project ideas and things that we can do, but I want this to be more student centered.  I want them to come up with ideas that they feel are valuable, in areas that they think we could use improvement. 

So I think i will have them: do the report card, determine the area that they feel we need to improve in (biggest need?  most area for growth? easiest to address and change?), propose a plan, and implement *their* plan.  My job will be to guide them and to provide support/structure along the way, but they will develop the action steps that we take.

In reply to Kathy Clowe

Re: My Action Component

by Elise Trelegan -

You're right on with the student-driven/student-centered concept here. I'm also glad that you're taking something that you already do in your class and re-visioning how it fits within the context of a MWEE. That's really what it's all about! 

In reply to Kathy Clowe

by Carole Blake -

It is always a good idea for students to evaluate what is being done and then think of ways to improve. We did a report card on our campus outside and how it relates to water quality and runoff this year. It would be nice to expand it into other areas.

In reply to Kathy Clowe

by Candice Autry -

Kathy, your idea sounds great!  Would you be willing to bring an example to our class next week?  I'm interested in talking to you more about this as my action plan idea is similar to what you have done.  

In reply to Kathy Clowe

by Roger Lucas -

Doing report cards is awesome. Data driven is great. Your idea of involving your students in planning, implementing and assessing is brilliant. Indeed it is full of action.