Integrating Action within programming

Ready, set, ....

Ready, set, ....

by Michael Burkett -
Number of replies: 1

Wow, so many possibilities.  As science chair my head is swimming with ideas for all grade levels!  We are a preK -12 school and I think it's time to do preK-12 MWEE on climate change.  I'll focus on my classes for now, a way for me not to be overwhelmed.

I think we can having a running brainstorming board as we go throughout our climate change unit, and the year - as this isn't a "unit" issue/topic, on ways that we, as individuals, can make a difference.  From diet changes (loved meatless Mondays), to reduction of water usage and electricity, I want my students to take action(s) and share/report school-wide.  From Google classroom to our radio station, I can see my students with the "climate change update."  I think fun venues to share will encourage action.

I'd also like my students to present to the student body "problems" identified and how they came up with solutions and hopefully were able to implement.  This could be from ways to reduce runoff from our campus and reducing on campus erosion, ways to keep our water local, and improving biodiversity and habitat by replacing invasive species with natives.  Our nature trail, which is used school wide and by the community, could be a showcase in our ways we are adapting and mitigating climate change.

In reply to Michael Burkett

Re: Ready, set, ....

by Mark Segall -

Good Evening,

I like your idea of using periodic updates to keep others in the community informed about progress on your various initiatives. This is something useful that I had not thought of at the high school level. Thanks.

- Mark Segall