Integrating Action within programming

Action Project

Action Project

by Annale Carlos -
Number of replies: 1

School is one of the main places where there's an overuse in the paper. So I am thinking of a project that will promote recycling. Since it will be my first year in our school, I could start with a "Zero-Waste-in-the-classroom policy". I will set up recycling bins in a class and assign student volunteers to be responsible for removal and audit how much trash is created. Sorting trash will help students understand how much waste they are creating in a day and where it's all coming from. I can also challenge my students to compete with another class to see who can reduce their waste output most in a great way to create a less waste environment. 

When I visited my new school last week for a tour my resource teacher has shown me a greenhouse garden that we can use. This is another idea I have in mind, I want to grab the opportunity of creating a community garden to have students come together and plant in beds in a greenhouse garden space. By doing so, students will not only get service learning hours, but they can bring home fresh, local, free organic food as well. 

In reply to Annale Carlos

Re: Action Project

by Mark Segall -

Good evening,

I really like your idea about paper recycling. As there are a lot of possibilities in the classroom, this something that I had not thought of. This could be extended to possibly include water bottles as well. Thanks.

- Mark Segall

-