Integrating Action within programming

Ideas

Ideas

by Sharicca Boldon -
Number of replies: 1

This module has my mind brimming with ideas. I may start the year off with some hands-on activities that I suggest to help students understand the concepts and then follow their lead and see where they take things from there. I may even be able to do some mini-lessons with students attending summer programs in order to test out the ideas, see where their energy lies and put some wheels in motion for the fall. 

Some of the ideas that I am thinking of are:

- using olla pots to water our garden with rainwater

- adding greenhouses (even small ones made out of 2 liter soda bottles if we need to start there) to extend our growing season and increase our yield

- addressing the overgrown landscaping (which is on our to-do list for next year already) and introducing plans/structures to improve stormwater management

- doing healthy eating demos with products from the garden during our school food pantry distributions this summer. Perhaps, we can always find ways to provide visitors with supplies, information and encouragement to grow veggies and herbs at home. 

- adding a sign to the garden with information about what's growing, the new sustainable gardening practices that we are introducing, how we are mitigating the effects of carbon, growing tips for others to try at home, etc. I could see the garden becoming a hub of information on environmental news/tips for the community.

- including a group of students in the city's upcoming six week initiative to include citizens in urban planning discussions and have those students bring suggestions for how to plan with climate change in mind

In reply to Sharicca Boldon

Re: Ideas

by Megan Cloutier -

Hi Sharicca,

I love your ideas! It sounds like you already have a garden at school which is super cool! It is a goal of mine for our school. How did you get the garden started? I would be interested in talking to you face to face this week at the academy if you wouldn't mind. I think community/school gardens are a great way to get community members and students involved in hands on ways that make a difference in the area. I think you are wise to try out some mini projects and activities ahead of time and to see where the students go with it. I did that last year and I was utterly amazed at how some of my more sluggish students took the lead and in the end planned and created a pollinator garden on campus. The students that we teach are pretty amazing people and sometimes I forget that. So letting students take the lead is not a bad thing at all and it will most certainly help to increase their engagement and buy in throughout the project. After all, we all have a need to be a part of something bigger than ourselves and your ideas are a great way to provide that for your students. I look forward to meeting and talking with you at the academy.

Take care,

Megan