5. What are your initial thoughts on teaching climate change?

Initial Thoughts from Karen

Initial Thoughts from Karen

by Karen Doerrler -
Number of replies: 2

1. What are some ways you could connect Earth systems and climate change topics to your current curriculum?

Even as I'm writing this, my Honors Biology students are immersed in studying the carbon cycle.  Thus far, we have addressed the basics - flows, spheres, storages.  However, looking at the evidence I've read through in this unit has inspired me to focus on the human impacts to the carbon cycle and climate change implications of those impacts.  I especially liked the graphs and graphics in the National Climate Assessment report.  It was really easy to download them, and they support the points I'd like to make with my students.  I think it will be especially powerful if I can create an electronic version of the information for the students to browse at their own pace, recording information that is new to each of them.  That way, I can challenge the diverse learners in my classes at their own levels of understanding of climate change.

2. What examples of climate change evidence do you think your students/visitors would respond to or be witnesses to in their own communities?

The graphics had the most impact on me, especially the images of eroding glaciers and seashells.  Many of my students are visual learners as well, so pictures and graphs have greater impact than reading scientific text.  I think these items will grab their attention about the evidence for climate change.

The NCA report says that the northeast region is and will be experiencing increased precipitation.  In our community, we have definitely seen seen a lot of precipitation, especially in the last week!!  There have been "100 year" floods twice in the last two years in a local historic district (Ellicott City, MD)  I would like to find some precip data from our local area to see if there's a trend here that mimics national and global trends.  

In reply to Karen Doerrler

Re: Initial Thoughts from Karen

by Elise Trelegan -

I'm glad that you're already waist-deep in climate with your Honors Bio students, and even more excited that you're finding the content so far useful! The great thing about NOAA, NASA, and other organizations doing some of this work on climate is that much of their information is available as visualizations/graphics/video which is what students tend to grab onto. One of the thing that we'll be digging into during the in-person component is finding ways to compliment these pieces with field experiences, authentic incorporation of data, and identifying actions that students can take in response to their investigations. 

We also got a LOT of rain down here on the Eastern Shore of MD... luckily we didn't experience what Ellicott City did. Hope that your area fared OK!

In reply to Karen Doerrler

Re: Initial Thoughts from Karen

by Carole Blake -

Info-graphics really do help student learning. I try to incorporate as many graphs as possible too. Students seem to thing graphs are difficult, so I want them to realize that they are just a good way to visualize scientific data.