5. What are your initial thoughts on teaching climate change?

Climate in My Community

Climate in My Community

by Caitlin Hochuli -
Number of replies: 1

When teaching about certain cycles that occur naturally, such as the Milankovitch cycles, to bring it more relevance for students, we could analyze the cycles in Georgia and compare it to cycles that occur in different parts of the country, such as out west.  One of my biggest connections for my students is to relate it all back to agriculture.  So with that, I can talk about why we grow certain crops, and what we may have to be aware of here versus out west in terms of these cycles, and how our climate changing can also affect these cycles, making them more intense.  What does that mean for our crop growth, what does that mean for our food?

I teach Environmental Science, so climate change really fits in everything: adaptations (what happens when organisms can't adapt fast enough), atmosphere and air pollution, loss of natural resources (the changes in the water cycle).  I think one of my struggles is how to incorporate it without feeling like I'm pushing it.  My kids definitely don't believe climate change is a problem we're facing, so this has to be a gradual approach.  I felt I couldn't openly communicate about climate change before I explained the greenhouse effect, and how it impacted the climate.  I don't think I did a strong enough job of tying them together, so I want to be better at showing my students the true effect of climate change and why they should care.

In reply to Caitlin Hochuli

Re: Climate in My Community

by Elise Trelegan -

Caitlin I think you're in the right place to develop your confidence and delivery methods for this topic! We have a wide-variety of participants in this course - some who are brand new to climate education and others who have been through this Academy before and who have faced similar challenges to you. Don't be afraid to bring this up in discussions during the in-person component because there are a lot of folks who are here to help! What part of Georgia are your students from? Are there specific impacts that they will likely experience during their lifetime that are central to the livelihood of community members? That is often a good place to start. One of the topics that we will be considering during the in person workshop is health which is a very compelling issue for almost everyone.