Local Impacts Discussion

Baltimore City- Local- Scale Impact of Climate Change

Baltimore City- Local- Scale Impact of Climate Change

by Joselyn Hermoso -
Number of replies: 4

In Baltimore City, I think the local- scales climate change impact would be drastic temperature changes due to global warming from greenhouse gases. There would be extreme temperature changes per seasons (too hot during summer time and too cold during winter time the opposite (warm/ dry winter but extreme hot summer). Then, increase rain fall that would cause flooding like what happened in Ellicott City. Because of the sudden changes in weather and temperature, there would be an increase demand/ usage of cooling/ heating power, water usage and electricity/ gas consumption. Another thing, it would also affect the wildlife in Chesapeake Bay area such as loss of habitats and food resources. As for me, thinking about my students, his can be integrated in MWEE lesson about the Carbon Concentration as part of the Carbon Cycle. In the previous Module I mentioned about the article that I’m planning to use to engage my students about the reality of the Global Warming. I would want my students to see and be aware that this is happening. Also, they will identity and explore the major impacts and what they do to contribute to it as part of the growing city.

In reply to Joselyn Hermoso

Re: Baltimore City- Local- Scale Impact of Climate Change

by Elise Trelegan -

Joselyn I like where you're going with the idea of an increased demand on cooling/heating power, water usage, and electricity and gas consumption. It would be really interesting to get the perspective of some one in the energy sector to speak with your students as well. You might consider checking out some school energy audits that have been put together by various organizations that are pretty easy for students to use, though you will need an ally in the facilities department to help get some of the information. Here are a couple of examples:

https://www.nwf.org/~/media/PDFs/Eco-schools/Audits/Energy-Audit-2014.pdf

http://www.countdownyourcarbon.org/SchoolEnergyAudit.pdf

In reply to Elise Trelegan

by Joselyn Hermoso -

Thank you so much for the resources you shared. I will look and surely will be of great help to my planning and designing. 

by shirley ucol-cobaria -

You have a variety of important issues that arise from climate change. And each of them can have its own issue, an opportunity for field experience, synthesis and conclusion and possible action projects. 

by Sharicca Boldon -

I am in Baltimore City as well. The same impacts that you raised came to mind for me as well plus air quality. Some time ago, there was a push to create asthma-friendly schools. Given that the risk for asthma related complications may increase over the coming decades coupled with the existing poor conditions of our school buildings with insufficient temperature control, poor air quality, etc. it makes sense to revisit the asthma-friendly schools program and explore what steps can be taken to make our schools more suitable for students/staff/family members/visitors etc. with that condition.