Local Impacts Discussion

Baltimore City

Baltimore City

by shirley ucol-cobaria -
Number of replies: 1

If climate change can make an impact on a larger scale, it will definitely have an impact on a smaller area. I teach in the City near apartments and shopping centers. My school's location is extremely vulnerable to the effects of climate change since the infrastructures is immobile. It also has an effect on the people of the community and how they live. City living is expensive and getting resources like water and food can be affected by climate change. Extremely hot temperatures can cause heat stroke to elderly people in the neighborhood. Water supply can be of high demand during hot summer days hence the higher water bills in the City. Food supply can be also of high demand. Infrastructures like the drainage system in the City have been there for decades and since it is immobile, the amount of rainfall will affect how it can hold an amount of water, if it cannot handle it, it will cause flooding. 

In reply to shirley ucol-cobaria

Re: Baltimore City

by Sharicca Boldon -

With respect to vulnerability, I am interested in having my students review which areas of the city have populations with higher risk factors and think through what can be done to mitigate risks in these areas. The Baltimore Neighborhoods Indicators Alliance has helpful data to visualizet risk factors across the city. https://bniajfi.org/