Local Impacts Discussion

Wilkes County, NC

Wilkes County, NC

by Martha Peller -
Number of replies: 3

local-scale climate change that will likely affect our community:

• higher temperatures and change in precipitation patterns that will affect the agricultural industry 
  • higher temperatures that will affect health of community members, especially those that are already considered "at-risk" and in poverty 

In previous posts I have written about my ideas of creating a MWEE that addresses how the local agricultural industry has already been, or will be affected by temperature and precipitation changes due to climate change. 

I think my students would also benefit from a lesson on health risks associated with increased temperatures. Over the years of teaching I have noticed more and more students that have asthma, almost every student at least knows someone who suffers from this condition. They would likely find a lesson on this informative and thought provoking.  

In reply to Martha Peller

Re: Wilkes County, NC

by Anna Bella Sy -

That is an awesome lesson, Many of our students suffered from Ashtma attack and they can definitely relate to that.

by Annale Carlos -

I like your lesson! Your ideas are very relatable for many of our students have asthma. I, myself have three siblings who suffer from asthma. The health risks associated with climate change will benefit them even if not directly, they could share it to someone whom they know who has the same condition.

by Roger Lucas -

Our agricultural sector of the society is the provider of our food. Your idea about the effects of temperature and precipitation change to agriculture is a brilliant idea. Thumbs up for you.