Local Impacts Discussion

Local impact

Local impact

by Matthew O'Connor -
Number of replies: 3

The major impacts I have seen at my school include flooding of practice fields more often and the overall increase in the number of intense weather events. We have also seen an increase in hot weather days starting in April and making it more difficult to participate in sports and other outdoor activities. With increased greenhouse gasses and local stream degradation, these events have become more frequent on our campus. Our school has put in an infiltration pond to help mediate some of the issues with the flooding, but the overall increase in average temperatures is going to take more than just a few people actions changing.  I think we could study using the MWEE process the flood events on campus and also look at the stream degradation over the school year. We could see if they are linked or if these events are prevalent throughout the community. 

In reply to Matthew O'Connor

Re: Local impact

by Elise Trelegan -

Sounds like you're on the right track with an issue that is relevant to your students. I wonder if the facilities team at your school would be willing to talk to your students about their decision to put in the retention pond.

by Michael Burkett -

Thanks for an idea...

We sample for macros to assess stream health and I could start showing my students stream bank erosion and bring it into the discussion of stream health and climate change.   We could also start looking at the watershed land usage to see how events upstream affect downstream sites.

by Roger Lucas -

I like the idea of infiltration pond to help issues on flooding. Your plan to investigate a stream degradation and its connection to the whole community is a great idea. I would be glad if you could share to me later about your process of doing it. Thanks in advance.