Local Impacts Discussion

Local climate change impact

Local climate change impact

by Karen Doerrler -
Number of replies: 0

What is a local-scale climate change impact you think will affect your site?  Local flooding of nearby streams and rivers.

How is it a climate change impact?  As more carbon dioxide accumulates in the atmosphere, due in part to emissions from combustion (lots of traffic in our area), and deforestation (lots of development in our area), global temperatures are increasing.  One side effect is warmer ocean temperatures, which leads to more evaporation of water, which leads to increased precipitation in our area, as influenced by ocean currents and global wind patterns.  The increase in precipitation leads to flooding of local streams and rivers.

How could this be integrated a MWEE?  When I first read the Impacts article in lat May, we were in the midst of an extreme rain event, and there was flooding in a local town - the second 100 year flood in 2 years.  In my biology classes, we were discussing the carbon cycle.  I added a graphic from the Impacts article showing the 70% increase in heavy precipitation in the Northeast to help the students see the relationship between climate change and their everyday lives.  We could measure flood levels, precipitation levels, document erosion of the stream bank, test water quality, and assess the biota of the stream behind our school.