5. What are your initial thoughts on teaching climate change?

A starting point

A starting point

by Sharicca Boldon -
Number of replies: 4

I am eager to connect with others who are exploring ways to link climate change with agriculture. We have a budding agriculture program at our school and my students are enthusiastic learners of ag science. I like the possibility of connecting the larger global topic of climate change with the hyper-local lessons we are doing around gardening. I believe it will make the broader topics more tangible and relevant for students.

I would love to review historical temperature and precipitation data for the city and see what trends we find. As already mentioned here, organizing and thinking through the data around weather related school cancellations would help to make the information even more personal for them. 

In reply to Sharicca Boldon

Re: A starting point

by Elise Trelegan -

You make a great point here Sharicca - many schools have a garden of some sort that might be a convenient tie into this idea of how climate change will affect agriculture. Looking forward to seeing this idea develop!

by Matthew O'Connor -

Sharicca, as my county curriculum implement more agriculture practices in our lessons I think it will be critical for our students to understand its impacts. Having our students understand the impact of local gardening and its connections to all the spheres will help them better understand the world around them. 

In reply to Matthew O'Connor

by Sharicca Boldon -

Matthew. The garden sounds like a great place for students to see all of the spheres at work. I used a picture of the garden for my picture labeling assignment and I realized how easy it will be for students to see and better understand the spheres through the garden. 

by Kherry Guy -

At my school, we have a after school club called the  E-Club (Environmental Club). The students learn about preserving the environment through recycling, purchasing eco-friendly products, saving water, and gardening. As a part of the gardening, the students research which plants are appropriate to plant for each season and when those plants need to be planted. They noticed that although they were choosing the correct seeds to plants, they were not seeing the results they expected. Discussing and researching climate change could assist with the students understanding as to why their plants are not growing.