5. What are your initial thoughts on teaching climate change?

Thoughts on climate change

Thoughts on climate change

by tracie evans -
Number of replies: 3

A few years ago President Trump called climate change a Chinese made hoax.   I think this will be an interesting subject to teach little people.  We don't predict the weather, but we discuss it everyday when we do the calendar and weather during circle time.  It would be awesome to show them how the weather/climate is actually predicted. (and to teach them that there is a difference between weather and climate) We've only discussed storms, hurricanes, and predict if it will snow in order to be blessed with a snow day :) That's so real life for them!.  It will be surprising for them to get an understanding the some changes in the climate can be man made or caused by human activity.  I think it will be exciting to teach them that when they grow up, they can actually make a difference.  I am actually learning a lot  about climate change already.  Is it sad to admit that I am just realizing the difference between climate and weather? I thought the two phrases were interchangeable.  I look forward to learning more!

In reply to tracie evans

Re: Thoughts on climate change

by Elise Trelegan -

It's great that you're already absorbing new facts and ideas, Tracie! While differentiating weather and climate might be a tall order for pre-K and K, it's important for our students to hear consistency in vocabulary like that throughout their education. Now you'll be all over it!

In reply to tracie evans

Re: Thoughts on climate change

by Tiamo Johnson -

Hi Tracie,

I like the point that you made about the importance of students understanding the impact of human activity on climate change.  Hopefully, it will be a growing movement as students go home and talk to their family about what they are learning about climate change and steps they can put in place to make a difference.

- Tiamo