What are your thoughts on how the content from this section (as well as previous sections) might support components of a MWEE?

MWEE

MWEE

by shirley ucol-cobaria -
Number of replies: 3

The essential elements of MWEE is the "what the students do", this is their part of the class wherein they are the proponents of learning. Given the different topics on this section, my students will be the one focusing on what they want to learn, it will be student-centered. They will construct their own questions and ask about possible scientific problems. Using field research or experiences they will gather their data, synthesize it and make a conclusion. Issues they have raised now will have to be explored more and an action plan will be done by the students.

In reply to shirley ucol-cobaria

Re: MWEE

by Sharicca Boldon -

I also look forward to having students direct the learning/exploration process based on their questions. I attended a training last month on horseshoe crabs and then presented an overview to my students. When I started that lesson, I had no idea that we would end up debating the possibility of plant-based proteins for the Red Knot bird as an alternative to horseshoe crab eggs. But, the question emerged, sparked a lively conversation and set the foundation for a nice, possible research question that would engage my students because it was their own.  I would like to take the same approach with lessons around climate change. 

In reply to Sharicca Boldon

by Elise Trelegan -

Sharicca - did you attend one of the Green Eggs and Sand trainings? It's one of my favorites :] Great potential for climate connections!

In reply to Elise Trelegan

by Sharicca Boldon -

Yes. That was the course.  It was great. I came back with new excitement and knowledge, transferred that to my students and the momentum around exploring environmental science is building around my school community. The field is so tangible and personally relevant and local yet global. I look forward to seeing where we go next.