Local Impacts Discussion

Action

Action

by Sharicca Boldon -
Number of replies: 2

I see the education process itself being at great risk for students in Baltimore City. Extreme weather events, poor air quality on top of a severely outdated portfolio of school buildings can result in poor learning conditions and missed days of school for students.  Similarly, neighborhoods with aging infrastructure are more vulnerable and can also impact the education process if emergencies at home(flooding, etc.) prevent students from being able to attend school.  There are efforts at the state and local efforts that my students may have interest in exploring. At the state level, efforts are underway to revamp the school funding formula via the Kirwan Commission. I have not seen deep discussions around the specific funding needs related to students learning in environments vulnerable to climate change complications and exacerbated conditions due to severely outdated buildings. There may be an opportunity to bring this reality to table for discussion.  Secondly, at the local level, the city is initiating an effort to directly engage citizens in a six-week urban planning project this fall. I was already interested in investigating how my students might be able to get involved. Now, I am thinking that they may be able to play a unique role in bringing climate change impact into these planning discussions. 

In reply to Sharicca Boldon

Re: Action

by Elise Trelegan -

Wow - what a great opportunity you have! I wonder if you could have your students engaged in this process formally. Talk about a life-relevant experience! If you can make this work I see so many possibilities for this to be a strong MWEE. 

In reply to Sharicca Boldon

Re: Action

by tracie evans -

Sharicca,

I too work in those poor "weathered" conditions in Baltimore.  I also hope to learn more from you about the six week urban planning project.