5. What are your initial thoughts on teaching climate change?

Initial thoughts on teaching climate change

Initial thoughts on teaching climate change

by Annale Carlos -
Number of replies: 1

I will be transitioning from a middle school Science teacher to a high school Chemistry.... My initial thoughts about teaching climate change, it is something that can and should be integrated in Chemistry curriculum. Many of the concepts behind climate change can be connected to core concepts present in our Chemistry curricula. Like for example the topics about what causes global warming/climate change.... burning fossil fuels and CO2 production could be connected to topics like chemical reactions with sub topics on conservation of mass, combustion reactions, balancing equation, stoichiometry and exothermic reactions. I can infuse lessons on climate change with these topics by having students apply their knowledge of writing and balancing equations and stoichiometry calculations to estimate their own individual carbon footprint caused by daily use of energy from fossil fuels and have them reflect and explain what it means. From here, they could connect the impacts of CO2 production in our environment.

After checking the curriculum that I will be teaching I am glad to know that Earth systems and Climate change are pretty much integrated in every single unit. We will start in Unit 1 talking about Natural Resources and the Human Use of Natural Resources. In Unit 2 we will explore the energy input and output of earth's system and water effects on earth system. Topics about impacts of climate change, evolution of current earth's atmosphere and carbon cycle will be tackled in unit 3 & 4. The readings and videos that were shared in module 2 are great resources that I can use with my students to promote climate change literacy.

In reply to Annale Carlos

Re: Initial thoughts on teaching climate change

by Elise Trelegan -

Great stuff here, Annale!! I'm glad to see that you're already making connections within you units of study.