Local Impacts Discussion

Local Impacts

Local Impacts

by Sebastian Weeks -
Number of replies: 2

My former school is a small independent school in rural Carroll County, MD. We actually have a farm that is part of the property that I've used for certain classes (to look at differences in soil types for instance). The cross country course also runs through it. 

As a result, the agriculture focus of the videos and readings, really were a draw for me. In terms of some local-scale climate impacts, water availability for agriculture as well as flooding and erosion issues in agriculture, would all be local issues. Additionally, over time, the ability to grow certain crops may be compromised. One of the starkest quotes I found from one of the readings was; "[the Northeast has a] greater increase in extreme precipitation that any other region in the U.S." from the time period of 1958-2010. Clearly this is a clear and pressing local issue.

Integrating these issues in a MWEE through action plans could be very effective. Having these action plans focus on adaptations for agriculture, including exploring new crop options and how Carroll County as a whole could be more resilient when it comes to adaptive capacity would make them relevant for my students, many of which live on farms themselves.

In reply to Sebastian Weeks

Re: Local Impacts

by Elise Trelegan -

Isn't that a compelling fact? I honed in on that before as well. I like this idea that you're talking about... how can our county be more resilient when it comes to the adaptive capacity... this could be a great driving question for your MWEE!

In reply to Elise Trelegan

Re: Local Impacts

by Sebastian Weeks -

It really is! I really like your question that you posed and very well might use it for my MWEE. Thank you for your response!