Local Impacts Discussion

Local impacts (pics from assistant)

Local impacts (pics from assistant)

by tracie evans -
Number of replies: 2

I am currently residing in Baltimore.  I have one question.  If the earth is warming and causing longer and hotter summers, how do you explain the spring like weather we are experiencing now?  It did get hot earlier this year in April.  So hot that my Azuela bushes bloomed early.  My daughter's prom was last month and the Azuleas had already died.  They do not last long and she was disappointed because she wanted them to be in the background of her pictures.  We are also experiencing a lot of rain right now.  They were fearful that because we have a harbor it would cause flooding due to the rising of the water.  Ironically its not the harbor that is flooding.  It is the surrounding areas.  Ellicott City (20 min from me) has experienced not one major flood, but two.  Not only less than two years ago, and only about 3 weeks ago.  They were just recuperating from the last flood when this one happened.  Unfortunately lives were lost, including last month a national guardsman.  Ellicott City was not the only area affected.  (Although it was the only area televised)  The city area close to Catonsville Frederick Avenue was hit terribly.  My assistant lives in that area and it caused major damage and flooding in her basement.  Almost all of her drywall has to be replaced.  Maiden Choice River runs under their homes.  She now has to invest in a sump pump, water proofing, and put in a draining system.  And of course she is now getting flood insurance.  If the water keeps rising, what will the people in these areas do?  It doesn't seem like something right in your backyard.  

In reply to tracie evans

Re: Local impacts (pics from assistant)

by Elise Trelegan -

Tracie these are powerful images. I hope that your assistant is recovering from the physical damage of her home and the emotional turmoil that she must be going through. Climate change certainly does/will continue to have an effect on our mental well-being, that is for sure. 

To address your question about longer, hotter summers and the spring-like weather we are having now - we need to look at the data to really understand this. We'll be doing an exercise similar to what your asking about here in the in-person Academy in a few weeks. You've probably heard of claim-evidence reasoning, and this is just that! If you want to get a leg up, consider checking out the 1981-2010 Climate Normals page and check to see if the recent temperatures that you've experienced are considered "normal." Be sure to get your weather info from a reliable source. Weather Underground is a popular one. Let us know what you find!

In reply to tracie evans

Re: Local impacts (pics from assistant)

by Kherry Guy -

Tracie,

I think that we are experiencing a shift in the seasons in general. I have observed that in the past couple of years, the seasons are not occurring during the documented time frames. For example this past year, we did not start experiencing fall weather until late October instead of September, Winter lasted well into March with a major "Snow Event" on the first day of Spring, and an excessive amount of rain fall in May/June instead of April. I would not be surprised if in the next couple of years there would need to be an adjustment made to the seasonal calendar.