Local Impacts Discussion

Impacts of Climate Change

Impacts of Climate Change

by Tiamo Johnson -
Number of replies: 2

On a local scale, climate change can increase the occurrence of heat related deaths, particularly in the elderly.  Climate change can also impact crop production and for Pennsylvania it can limit the variety of apples that are able to be grown.  Increases in the Earth's temperature has an impact on its systems.  For our students, the most important part of the process is informing them about the reality of the Earth's changing climate that has come as a result of human activity.  Students should also understand that they have power to make a difference.  Conservation should be part of the conversation.

- Tiamo

In reply to Tiamo Johnson

Re: Impacts of Climate Change

by Kherry Guy -

Tiamo,

I think it is important for the students to understand the difference that they can make to the climate. As educators, we sometimes put too much of an emphasis on how we as humans have a negative effect on Earth's climate. The students become focused on that aspect and they do not think about what can be done to make a difference. I think we as educators need to adjust our focus to get the students to follow suit.

In reply to Tiamo Johnson

Re: Impacts of Climate Change

by steven matsen -

It looks like you are also struggling with relating climate change to the local environment.  I like your point about heat related deaths and impact on crop production.