What are your thoughts on how the content from this section (as well as previous sections) might support components of a MWEE?

Classroom integration

Classroom integration

by James Rittner -
Number of replies: 1

I thought that the dice rolling activity was pretty terrific in terms of the level of student engagement as well as how it reinforced the big idea of matter conservation and how CO2 is transferred between different parts of the global system.

Many of the video resources I found really interesting and informative but often felt they would have the biggest impact on people who had already been introduced to many of the topics they were "teaching". I felt that if I were a complete climate novice a lot of what was being said would just go right by me. And if I was a climate skeptic I could easily ignore what they were saying.

Despite that criticism it was actually great to hear from some of the scientists in the field about how this work is done. (I'd like to learn more about how hydrogen isotope levels are connected to temperature!).

I think I need some of the field experience that we will be getting during the in-person component of the course to really appreciate how the MWEE could be implemented in a physics class in a way to support the curriculum and really connect with my students.

In reply to James Rittner

Re: Classroom integration

by SEQUOIA WRIGHT -

I also think that the dice activity gave students a chance to have the experience of being in the experiment. Many times we have students conduct an experiment and make observations. In this case they were making observations based on their experiences being carbon and I agree that this takes engagement and understanding to greater levels.