Integrating Action within programming

Student Action Ideas

Student Action Ideas

by James Rittner -
Number of replies: 1

I am still looking for a little inspiration as to what focus I want to choose for a MWEE. I think the Engineering Design cycle is a good fit for my class. One of the projects we have done the past several years are solar ovens. There is a need in many parts of the world for cooking options that do not require a lot of fuel and which do not put harmful pollutants into the air. The main reason I like the project is that it serves as a model for the balance of energy coming into and out of a system and there is a very clear connection with the greenhouse affect and climate change.

There are some other cool projects already occurring at my school. We recently had solar panels installed in the parking lot. There new collection areas for run-off from the parking lot during heavy rains. And there is a very awesome aquaponics lab. Last year I sponsored the Energy Challenge at my school to try and reduce electricity use ... we had access to the meter data which was cool ut unfortunately did not see a big impact despite trying to make interventions like using more natural light and providing teachers with power strips that turn off all devices. Maybe I can find some way to connect with some of the ongoing projects or redevelop an engineering task like the solar ovens so that it meets the criteria for being a mwee.

In reply to James Rittner

Re: Student Action Ideas

by steven matsen -

It sounds like you have a lot of great ideas already. I was mostly thinking about students making lifestyle and consumer choices that help with the environment.