Integrating Action within programming

Action

Action

by tracie evans -
Number of replies: 1

Thought I posted here already with pics.  But one way I would like to get my school involved is by making my school a green school.  I actually talked to my classroom assistant a few weeks ago about the school recycling.  This is my first year there, and it is a very small school (maybe 200) so I think that program would be easy to manage.  My old school (much larger) had a bin outside every classroom.  I am sure we could start with just having one bin on every floor. 

Because I am from Philly, I was really intrigued by the video that showed how they are not "wasting" water.   I would love to be able to have a garden like that around my school, with trees planted that also absorb water, but I know that is costly.  The gentlemen that was there taking care of the property when I visited did not even know what I was talking about!

I also learned that there is a grassy field not far from my house, that has really tall grass and often wondered why one section was cut and that section wasn't.  I recently learned that it was planted to filter the first rain run offs before going to the bay.  On my way here I saw very similar looking fields and I wonder if it serves the same purpose.  I could probably sneak a few pieces of the grass to take to school to show my students and explain the process to them.  They will be very intrigued as the blades will probably be taller then them.  They could get lost in that field!

In reply to tracie evans

Re: Action

by Sebastian Weeks -

Hi Tracie,

I really connect with the idea of being a green school. Although I've left my previous school, it was one of my goals (sadly unfulfilled) to help make it a green school. Getting student buy-in, is critical for success because then you have a positive bottom-up and top-down approach, plus it can help, in terms of delegating responsibilities, in meeting all the criteria necessary to become a green school.

-Seb