Integrating Action within programming

Action Component idea

Action Component idea

by Joselyn Hermoso -
Number of replies: 12

I really like the Waste Recycling and Waste Reduction Program in one of the resources found on this module http://baybackpack.com/schoolyard_projects/project/recycling_waste_reduction_programs

I’d like my student to practice what I will teach to them at least in the classroom setting and if they can extend it to their homes and community the better. Since this program has been one of the solutions to help out our ecological footprints, I would want my students to see the impact of this. They are familiar with the Re-use, Reduce and Recycle, but I’m not sure if they practice it all. By doing this, they will be aware that it saves trees, reduces gas emissions, reduces pollution and trash accumulation. I’d like to adopt the use of Recycling and Waste Management Questionnaire, because this will give my students an opportunity to observe and describe our school’s garbage disposal. I will allow my students to create their own recycling program that we can do at our school. Then probably, before we start, we could plan a field trip going to a recycling facility or invite a person to talk about recycling program. I know this is too challenging to think about, considering the nature of my dear students. However, I can try though and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

In reply to Joselyn Hermoso

Re: Action Component idea

by Elise Trelegan -

Awesome! Bay Backpack is such a great resource - I'm glad that you're finding it helpful! Since you're working with high school students I think you have the chance to make a really compelling connection between climate change, carbon emissions, and waste reduction. In my experience, this has been a sometimes challenging concept for students to grasp. I think when people here reduce, reuse, recycle - even as adults! - they immediately think of the don't litter campaign, marine debris, etc. I'm excited to see this idea come to fruition! 

by rachael coffey -

One of the most impactful field trips I did with my Environmental Science students was to our local landfill and recycling center. They were AMAZED at how it worked and how much waste there is right in their "backyard".

Baltimore also has a trash to energy plant that you can visit and it was impressive too. 

In reply to rachael coffey

by Joselyn Hermoso -

Thank you so much. The only challenge I think I would have to face is the nature of my students with IEP's that I have to make it simple and spend more time implementing the action plan.

by Karen Doerrler -

This sounds like a great idea!  I've observed first-hand the problems with recycling at my school - it's not done by the building service folks because students don't use the recycling bins correctly.  It seems like a public service campaign could be a first step - after defining the problem and getting some data from your classroom, hall, department, or school.  You've inspired me to add this to my list of potential projects for my IB kids!

In reply to Karen Doerrler

by Joselyn Hermoso -

Thanks! That's a great idea....I had one PD last summer and it was on Baltimore City's landfill as well and it would be nice for them to see the exact situation and solution that the city is doing.

by shirley ucol-cobaria -

I love how you laid out your plans and how specific you are in taking each step. I'm thinking of doing the same action project. I need to get with you next week so we can discuss more about this project.

In reply to shirley ucol-cobaria

by Joselyn Hermoso -

I would love the idea of working with you on the same project. I think it would be better to have it planned as one especially if you are working on general education population and then I will implement the same on my special education population. 

by Martha Peller -

I think that having students visit a recycling center would be so beneficial for them! It would provide a visual and local connection of how recycling happens, and why it is important. I also like your idea of having the students develop a recycling program. Even a small one, just for your classroom, or just recycling paper, makes a difference! 

In reply to Martha Peller

by Joselyn Hermoso -

I agree with the recycling program and a visit to a recycling center because students can relate to as what and how it goes around their community. In this way, students can apply and connect it with real- life and actual situation within their localities. 

by Roger Lucas -

The 3R's of wastes management( reuse, reduce, recycle) is a great action for students. This reminds me of my students who were making science projects out of recycled materials. You can also integrate this in your project-based learning.

In reply to Roger Lucas

by Joselyn Hermoso -

Thank you.....the idea of a recycling program or making something out a recycled materials can a project based learning that my students can work on. Also, one way of simple STEM integration. 

by lynn Faulkner -

Yes indeed the recycling Center is one that is immensely educational and engaging for students. From there you can have a "green club" started and recycle materials at the school like the capri sun juice bags. Then send them in recycle and get points for lunch bags, pencil cases, etc to provide underserved populations. 

We did it at our middle school and I gave the PTA the  recycled bags as a gift at the end of the year! 

https://www.terracycle.com/en-US/brigades