Integrating Action within programming

Getting students interested and involved

Getting students interested and involved

by Megan Cloutier -
Number of replies: 3

When I first read the prompt for this post it immediately came to my mind that in order to make someone care about something you have to do two things:

1. show them the current status of the situation to help them understand that something needs to be done

2. show them how this issue will impact them in their daily lives (people are more likely to pay attention when it involves them personally)

In order to achieve these goals, I would first have my students collect the data on the issue or research the current status of the issue to provide a baseline for which they can start to make their own thoughts and formulate their own opinions of the issue. Bringing in real data/community stake holders or having students collect the data makes the whole issue more real to them and therefore, this will also help to increase student engagement and buy in throughout the process.

In order to achieve the second goal, I would have students research (if the data is available) how the issue is projected to change over the course of time and then challenge students to think about how they would be impacted by the issue in the future. This will probably be the more difficult of the two goals to achieve since most high school students do not think beyond the next day in their lives but I also believe that it can be achieved with the right resources. From my 6 years of teaching experience, most of the students that I have had, do want to help with a project that will make a difference in the future. The big question is where are the resources (money and equipment) going to come from in order to make their action project dreams a reality?

In reply to Megan Cloutier

Re: Getting students interested and involved

by Joselyn Hermoso -

I really like the ideas you shared on here and how are you going to achieve it. 

1. Collecting data relevant to the current issues that students may or may not be familiar with will make them think, observe and create question/s that they would want to answer. They can relate with it because it is the real situation that they see around them. 

2. Research work will allow the students to dig deeper with the issues they want to investigate. They can work collaboratively and share ideas. They will also work on to gather they information that they need so this is really awesome and you as the teacher will facilitate but they are responsible for their own learning. Self- learning is a great idea!

by Tiamo Johnson -

Hi Megan,

The problem of climate change is so large scale that it can be difficult to get students to understand that their actions can make a difference.  It starts with a trickle and positive monumental changes often starts with the actions of one.  Empowering students to believe that they are difference makers when it comes to climate change is an important part of the task.  I would like to help them to determine and implement a relevant and practical project that they believe in that will have a positive impact in their community.

- Tiamo

by lynn Faulkner -

Yes indeed Megan,

The key issue is ownership stewardship and individual power for students. They have "feel" emboldened to do what is needed to integrate.  

This Climate Academy will help to show us some budgeting methods to use for grants to obtain resources.  NOAA and MADE clear and Un of Delaware are very good with this and hopefully will share with us ;)