Integrating Action within programming

Student Action

Student Action

by Mark Segall -
Number of replies: 2

Organization of a climate summit at the school could be useful. Although many of the students with whom I have worked realize that climate change is a very important issue to address, they are not aware of all ot its implications or the approaches that can be taken to mitigate its effects. The summit will serve as a means of peer-driven education that could be modified to reach a larger community extending beyond the Smyrna High School population.

Another possibility for action could involve the Agricultural Sciences Department at the High School. Since various aspects of agriculture are linked to the emissions of greenhouse gases or other climate concerns, the students could systematically evaluate agricultural practices that are conducted on the school campus and determine ways to increase energy efficiency or water efficiency. They could also examine whether there are possibilities to more effectively utilize all produce and minimize waste.

As a third option, the students could each mention something that they could easily do at home, such as unplugging a certain appliance for a number of hours each day, to cut emissions or save resources over time. Using information provided online, they could convert units of energy saved through this initiative directly to grams of CO2 prevented from being released and report this outcome.  

In reply to Mark Segall

Re: Student Action

by Austin Conley -

I really like the idea of a larger community structure. Working in the museum makes it very tough for continuous student involvement. In the previous discussion, I mentioned students collecting weather data for a database to use at the museum and schools. It would be interesting to try and expand that to sites on the school's property as well.