Discussion Spot

Field Experience Download

Field Experience Download

by Elise Trelegan -
Number of replies: 8

Post your reflections and ideas for evaluating an outdoor field experience.. ready... go!!!

In reply to Elise Trelegan

Re: Field Experience Download

by shirley ucol-cobaria -

My field experience was amazing! It gave me an opportunity to use different tools for collecting data that I do not have at school. It gave me a chance to experience outdoors since we have very limited space at school that has that nature setting ( being in a city, our school is in between an apartment complex and a commercial area ). 

by James Rittner -

Prepare students by scaffolding .... model how to design a science in the field investigation and provide classroom/lab opportunities throughout the year for students to generate their own testable questions and design investigations.

Balance how open/ended structured the experience should be. Remind myself not to feel like I should be prepared to provide a protocol for every question. I should stay open to questions/interests/investigations that never occurred to me.

Provide clear grading expectations with a rubric based on NGSS practices. Make sure it is set up so that students can succeed at earning a high grade so long as they are engaged and participating through all steps of the project (no grade penalty if students encounter obstacles or have unexpected evidence and claims).

by Tia Bossiwa -

It is important to realize that we are teaching outside of the classroom beyond the four walls. This is the big idea behind scientific inquiry. We do not have to have all of the questions answered or ironed out before we take our students outside. It is definitely okay to make mistakes. In addition, we can give them a rubric that mimics the NGSS standards or in laymen terms the process of learning rather than did you master all of the data points on a graph. 

by Joselyn Hermoso -

I really liked the field investigation that we did yesterday and bringing the idea into my classroom is awesome. As a Special Education teacher and my school is really into academic conversation a lot...it would  be a great way to have my students break into a small group and have their own ideas how on they will gather the data from  the "Climate Change Awareness" survey. They will have the opportunity to create an investigative question as well as survey questions that will spark their interests and knowledge about the topic. I would start the activity within the campus (teachers and other staff members surveys) then move it out within their communities (families, friends and neighborhood). I like the idea of using cellphone---Google Forms! coz its right on their pockets and one just click- swipe away and then they can easily view the data at hand. 

by Kherry Guy -

An outdoor field experience gives the students an opportunity to have hands on experience to the lesson. The students will become immersed in the lesson and begin to develop new ideas for collaboration and problem solving.

Aside from creating a rubric for the assignment, It is essential to rate the students on their ability to problem solve and collaborate. Make note of the students who took on a leadership role, which of the students became supporters, and which students did not participate at all.

Re: Field Experience Download and Rubrics...

by Adilah WutohBaylor -

With regard to assessing students for their work in a field experience, there are a varieties a ways.  I envision a process in which the rubric evolves as the students gain more experience with field investigation/labs. At some point, I want my students to construct whole-group and individual rubrics on their own.

by Anna Bella Sy -

Yesterday fieldwork was a great outdoor hands on experience that I think my students will love doing. The challenges we had experience while doing it will be that each of us( participant) should have a clear defined roles, check on the availability of materials or equipment. Students need to know what they were supposed to be doing and their  specific roles, because if not then it would be chaos. The activities that we did could  be break down into each activities(experiments) or the field testing by groups. Present each findings by groups that way each group would  have an access to the data. Then if my students will do it again, they can rotate their field testing activities experiment. Over all the fieldwork was fun and enjoyable at the same time a great learning experience.