2. Introduction of Academy Colleagues

Hi! I'm Michon.

Hi! I'm Michon.

by Michon Watts -
Number of replies: 5

Hello. I'm Michon (mee-shawn) Watts. I teach 7th Grade Science in Prince George's County Public Schools. This is my fourth year teaching Science and somewhere along the way, I developed an interest in Environmental Education, particularly climate change (maybe it was the movie, The Day After Tomorrow???). Every summer, I seek out professional development opportunities in Environmental Education. I would love to be able to add to the learning experiences I implement for my students, and also one day focus solely on Urban Environmental Education and/or Climate Education.

In reply to Michon Watts

Re: Hi! I'm Michon.

by Christopher Petrone -

This is great, Michon, you're going to love the academy! I believe there are a bunch of folks that have developed "what's wrong" activities about The Day After Tomorrow, so it can be used as a learning tool. Lots of potential!

In reply to Christopher Petrone

by Michon Watts -

oh wow! i didn't realize there was a whole "what's wrong" contingent out there! i look forward to checking those out!

In reply to Michon Watts

by Pat Harcourt -

Hello and welcome, Michon! We have several participants from Prince George's County, MD, and there are several teachers who have participated in MADE CLEAR climate change education programs in the past few years. We'll help you connect with each other at the Academy so you can share your ideas and experiences.

I look forward to meeting you in person!

Pat

In reply to Michon Watts

by Adilah WutohBaylor -

Hi Michon,

I too teach in PGCPS.  Hopefully, we can find ways to partner our schools in projects.

Also, I share your interest in Urban Environmental issues.  Each year PG, in particular, becomes more urban and less suburban and rural with nonstop building and destruction of forests.  Often real estate development, commercial or private, is considered to be an economic asset to a community.  But, I question: what is the weigh in for the cost to the environment down the road?  Thanks for raising this topic.  Hopefully, it will be addressed during the academy.

Cheers,

Adilah

In reply to Michon Watts

by Caitlin Hochuli -

Hey Michon!

I am in a very similar mindset career wise! I actually wanted to jump straight into environmental education from my undergraduate, but I realized how much I loved teaching along the way.  I got accepted into one of the teacher training organizations that helped me get my Master's and I'm committed for three years (two more!) before I can decide what's next.  There's nothing I want more than to help people understand the world around them and how they fit into this role, and I do think we have a very important job! Great to see someone who is thinking along the same lines as myself :) Can't wait to meet you!