2. Introduction of Academy Colleagues

Hello!

Hello!

by Kayry Segarra -
Number of replies: 6

Hello!

My name is Kayry Segarra and I am a chemistry teacher in Baltimore City Public Schools. My degree is in biochemistry and molecular biology, however, I decided that I should try my hand at teaching and I am about to complete my third year. 

I decided to join the academy because I've always thought education about Climate Change is very important, however, I never felt like I was adequately equipped with enough information to properly teach it. Also, my district is pushing towards integrating Environmental Science in chemistry, biology, and physics, so I would like to educate myself in as much environmental science as possible. I hope that by participating in this program I will feel more comfortable delivering a lesson about climate change, and have resources that I can pull from to help myself and my students through the lessons. 

In reply to Kayry Segarra

Re: Hello!

by Pat Harcourt -

Hello Kayry, and welcome! We have another HS chem teacher in the program, and several HS environmental science teachers, and we encourage you to share questions and ideas during the online component. We will also  provide opportunities for teachers with a common focus to share planning time during the in-person component.

I look forward to meeting you in June!

Pat

by Megan Cloutier -

Hi Kayry, I too am a high school teacher! I have been teaching Environmental Science for 6 years now and if you are interested I can give you some ideas of concept topics in Environmental Science in which you could easily incorporate into your Chemistry class. One that I can think of off the top of my head is how chlorofluorcarbons (CFCs) react with sunlight to break down stratospheric ozone (O3) into oxygen which is a huge problem since the ozone layer in the stratosphere helps to block out a lot of harmful UV rays from the sun so that they don't reach Earth. Without this ozone layer, the surface of the Earth would be much warmer and there would be more severe sunburns and a decrease in crop yield. I am looking forward to meeting you!

In reply to Megan Cloutier

by Kayry Segarra -

Thank you. I can't wait to meet you! I'll be sure to pick your brain when we meet in person.

by Elise Trelegan -

Welcome to the Academy Kayry! We're looking forward to working with you throughout this course and I think you'll certainly come away with some resources and lesson ideas!

by James Rittner -

As I am now learning that there will be several high school science teachers attending from our district I'm hoping we may have an opportunity to do some vertical teaming...how can we develop this topic for our students in a way that deepens their understanding of climate change specifically, and science content more generally as they move from Bio, to Chem, and Physics (before taking the MISA!)

by lynn Faulkner -

Hi Kayra, sounds like you are a wonderful asset for educating our future! In Harford county they are removing the Earth Science course and placing all of the content into the other sciences just as you are mentioning they are doing in Baltimore. Climate Change is a lot of fun to teach and very visual touchable for the students to relate to their world. I am sure that this academy workshop will provide you with wonderful resources and outreach connections to community centers that can augment your lessons.  Marshy Point Nature center on the water is one of the centers where I teach. Hope to meet you and share. Cheers . Lynn