5. What are your initial thoughts on teaching climate change?

Initial Thoughts on Teaching Climate Change

Initial Thoughts on Teaching Climate Change

by shirley ucol-cobaria -
Number of replies: 3

1. My current curriculum provides two units in biology that I can connect Earth systems and climate change. I can connect it with Unit 6: Interdependent Relationship in Ecosystem and Unit 7: Human Sustainability. Information from the reading and videos that I have read and viewed may be used for my students. The videos are specific to the topics that now I won't have difficulty finding resources. I can use it and share it to my students.

2. Students will respond to greenhouse effect and its relationship to how our climate is being affected. The unpredictable winter weather and storms have been experienced by everyone. But knowing about it and carefully teaching them not only the scientific side of it but also letting them know that their daily activities can cause greenhouse effect might surprise them. Some of them drive their own car. And most of them don't think that it causes a lot of impact on the atmosphere.

In reply to shirley ucol-cobaria

Re: Initial Thoughts on Teaching Climate Change

by Joselyn Hermoso -

I agree it is part of the  Interdependent Relationship in Ecosystem and Human Sustainability and as I remembered we had the same topics on our CLG (Core Learning Goals) before we shift to NGSS curriculum. 

Yes, greenhouse effect and its relationship to how our climate is  very vital and sensitive environmental issues that we need to address. 

In reply to shirley ucol-cobaria

by Elise Trelegan -

I think you hit the nail on the head Shirley... our students have experienced "unpredictable weather and storms" but we need to make sure that they understand the basics (weather versus climate, and the connection between them) as well as supporting them with the skills to identify research and data that can support their claims.  After they understand these concepts they can identify ways to take action, be it an individual action, or ideally, a community/school-wide action. 

In reply to Elise Trelegan

by shirley ucol-cobaria -

Thank you! Foundational skills are what the students need in order to jump into higher learning.