5. What are your initial thoughts on teaching climate change?

Thoughts on teaching climate change...

Thoughts on teaching climate change...

by Candice Autry -
Number of replies: 2

I can connect Earth systems and climate change topics in my current curriculum by asking students to consider what the computer models predict about changing sea level, and connect these predictions to topics in social justice.  How will people who live in costal areas of the world, often affected by flooding, have safe housing if where they live becomes uninhabitable?  What will the impact of increased drought be on areas of the world that might receive less rainfall?  What will happen to the public health of persons living in places such as Nairobi, Kenya, who now have vector-borne diseases as another problem (since mosquitoes will be able live where they once did not)?   What will happen to nations whose economy is fueled by tourism, such as areas that have coral reefs?  

My students are curious about the health of the Chesapeake Bay.  The picture I want to include, yet am having trouble attaching, is of students on a walk to Soapstone Creek, which is a tributary to the Potomac River.  They comment on how the drain has information about the Bay ("Don't throw trash").  They also comment about how it is illegal for people to play or fish in any of the water in the District of Columbia because the water quality is harmful.  Their interest in how the Bay is affected by rising water temperature, the impact of agriculture ( dairy farms, hog farms) and non point pollution--how the hydrosphere and biosphere interact in this part of the country are topics they respond to.  

In reply to Candice Autry

Re: Thoughts on teaching climate change...

by Elise Trelegan -

Lots of very rich ideas here Candice... I love that you're connecting climate change with social justice. Even here on the Chesapeake Bay we're concerned about public health and the possibility of increased bacteria like Vibrio that is harmful to people (more info here: http://www.marylandhealthybeaches.com/vibrio.html).

On a technical note - this might help with the photo that you're trying to upload (I would love to see it!!). To upload a picture you should click that little box, third from the right, that looks like a square with a mountain graphic in it. From there you can search from you computer to upload it. To resize click on the "Appearance" tab and I typically keep my images around 300-500 px. Let me know if you still have trouble with this. 

In reply to Candice Autry

Re: Thoughts on teaching climate change...

by Sharicca Boldon -

I am thinking about the preparedness risks more inland as well. The flooding in Baltimore at the end of May prompted the city to release some preparedness guidelines this week. Helping to disseminate preparation tips might introduce a helpful service learning aspect for my students. 

Here's an excerpt from the email that the planning department released this week:

This image to the left is of the flooding on Frederick Avenue in Southwest Baltimore on May 27th. That day, Special Rescue Operations personnel rescued twenty-one people by boat in Southwest Baltimore around Frederick Avenue (see image to left). One hundred row homes and apartments were damaged. The flood risk in Baltimore City is real. Communities near the Gwynns Falls, Jones Falls, and Herring Run are especially at risk. The 2018 Atlantic Hurricane season began June 1st  and ends November 30th. 

Here is what you can do to prepare for riverine and coastal flooding: