5. What are your initial thoughts on teaching climate change?

Initial Thoughts After Module 2

Initial Thoughts After Module 2

by Kathy Clowe -
Number of replies: 5

1. I teach high school biology.  Earth systems and climate change connect to pretty much every single unit that we cover.  Even the ones where the connection is not an obvious, direct one-to-one thing, there are ways to fit a conversation about climate change into every unit.  For example, when we are learning about the human body, body systems and homeostasis- we can have a conversation about earth's systems and how it is like an organism trying to maintain homeostasis.  On the first day of school we actually usually have an interesting conversation about if the earth can be considered a living thing or not, and it is easy to draw parallels and make that connection. 

Also, I want to teach my class through the lens of industrial agriculture.  (I have this Great idea on how to do this, but it is So Much work to make that huge of a shift.  I am trying to phase it in unit by unit so I don't drive myself bonkers. ) But industrial ag has so much of an impact on climate change, so the connections are really obvious in each and every unit. 

2. SNOW DAYS!  The frequency and intensity of storms is super compelling to my students.  Also, hurricanes and their impacts. (socially, economically, politically and environmentally)

In reply to Kathy Clowe

Re: Initial Thoughts After Module 2

by Candice Autry -

I'm glad you mention snow days!  The predictions of stormier storms is fascinating to my students.  We have had "hurricane days" and "high wind days" in Washington, DC.  Students often comment that for the adults in the house a closing of school because of predicted 50 mile an hour wind gusts was not part of their educational experience.  

The response FEMA had to Hurricane Katrina was a subject of discussion in a social studies class.

In reply to Kathy Clowe

by Anna Bella Sy -

I'm glad that you talk about snow days, because that was my students kept on saying too... not only the unending snow days that we had experienced but also the roller coaster temperature that we had... I heard a  lot of this discussion not only with my students but also on my colleagues.

In reply to Anna Bella Sy

by Sharicca Boldon -

Making the most of snow days. Perhaps I will put together some at home lessons on climate change to have on hand for students to do during snow days. 

In reply to Kathy Clowe

by Elise Trelegan -

Kathy I'm really interested to hear more about your shift to aligning your biology class with industrial agriculture. You'll have to share more about this with us throughout the Academy. Like you mentioned, there are so many climate connections there. Is your school located in an ag-dominated area? 

One thing that's important to consider when we start talking about weather and climate is whether there is evidence that shows that these events are part of a larger trend. This is a nice graphic by the Union of Concerned Scientists that helps to illustrate this. We'll also be doing some activities during the in-person component that will demonstrate ways for your students to access data that will allow them to back up their claims with evidence. 

A few other sites on extreme weather:

https://nca2014.globalchange.gov/highlights/report-findings/extreme-weather

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/billions/

In reply to Kathy Clowe

by Martha Peller -

Kathy - I am interested in your industrial agriculture connection. Do you live in an agriculture based area? I live in an agricultural community - chickens, cows, pigs, produce... and am a little nervous about breaking down some of the hard data to my students about the impacts of the agricultural industry on climate change, after all this is their family living. I definitely think it is a topic that needs to be addressed, but am interested to hear if you or any other participant has had experience with having these sensitive discussions.