5. What are your initial thoughts on teaching climate change?

Climate Discussion

Climate Discussion

by steven matsen -
Number of replies: 5

I teach a class called integrated science and the new curriculum has yet to be developed for next year.  One third of the class will be centered around Climate Change and its effects so I should be able to cover the topic pretty thouroughly.

My students are only 16-17 years old and have not been around long enough to notice the gradual changes that are taking place.  I am looking forward to finding ways to show how climate change have affected our local community.

In reply to steven matsen

Re: Climate Discussion

by Elise Trelegan -

I'm excited to hear about the development of the curriculum for this course, Steven. While your students might not be old enough to witness the gradual changes themselves, I'm sure they have heard stories or anecdotes from their parents/relatives. It can be interesting to incorporate an element of oral history into lessons by having the student interview a grandparent/older relative about what changes they have seen over their lifetime. In my experience sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't, but it typically inspires a pretty interesting conversation. I think you'll meet a number of people during this Academy who will be able to demonstrate examples of change in DE, especially during the in person component. 

by Candice Autry -

Yes, I agree to the challenge of communicating to 16-17 year olds the importance of using past data to help us understand where we are headed.  Meaningful and interesting ways to introduce this data analysis is one of the things I want to continue searching for, and learning how to do.  This link is a good one, my students love it:  https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/history.html

In reply to Candice Autry

by Karen Doerrler -

Thanks for sharing this, Candice!  I can use this next week as we wrap up the carbon cycle in Honors Bio.!  So far we've just addressed the mechanics of the cycle and not dwelt on the human impacts.  However, it's time to add that to the table as we wrap up the year.

In reply to Candice Autry

by Annale Carlos -

Thank you Candice for sharing this resource! It will be a great addition in my tool kit and I can use it with my students when I discuss carbon cycle.

by Roger Lucas -

We have the same needs. In as much as environmental science is not my specialization, I am attending this course to gain knowledge and experiences in teaching climate change.