2. Introduction of Academy Colleagues

Introduction

Introduction

by Leonor Rayteran -
Number of replies: 3

Warm greetings to everybody in the 2018 Climate Change Academy. I am Leonor Rayteran, a special education teacher at Baltimore City Public Schools, Maryland. I am teaching integrated science, math, reading and writing, and functional academics to students with intellectual disability under the Life Skills Program. I joined the Academy because I would like to enhance my knowledge and skills in climate change and Earth Systems as a whole. I plan to integrate the knowledge and skills that I will learn and acquire from the Academy to the integrated science content area, in which Earth Systems and Climate Change are part of the  Earth and Space Science curriculum. I am excited to learn also from my colleagues and share them to my students and co-teachers during the school year 2018-2019. 

In reply to Leonor Rayteran

Re: Introduction

by Elise Trelegan -

Welcome Leonor! We're excited to work with you this summer and I think it's so wonderful that you already are working with colleagues to integrate climate education into BCPS. Having a team to bounce ideas off of can be super helpful especially as you build your implementation plans. 

by Amy Fuentes -

Hi Leonor, I am a special education teacher, too.  I'm down in 5th grade where we teach all subjects, so I would love to talk to you about how you integrate science within all of the academics!

by Pat Harcourt -

Hello Leonor - I think teachers of special ed students are especially good at finding ways to help students make sense of concepts and learn practices and skills. All of us can learn from the carefully planned teaching approaches that work well in special ed classes. In our on-line and in-person discussions, I hope you will share your ideas for adapting lessons for special ed.