2. Introduction of Academy Colleagues

Hello!

Hello!

by Annale Carlos -
Number of replies: 3

Hello, I am Annale Carlos and I currently teach middle school science in one of the schools in Montgomery County. I decided to join the academy because I want to learn more about climate change. We have a unit in 6th grade curriculum that tackles human impacts on the environment and about alternative energy resources. I am hoping that by joining the academy it will help me to gain a deeper and better understanding about climate change so that I would be more confident in teaching it with my students in the future. Especially this incoming school year I will move to high school to teach Chemistry and Astronomy. I am excited to share what I will learn from the academy and be able to incorporate it my lesson.

In reply to Annale Carlos

Re: Hello!

by Elise Trelegan -

Hi Annale and welcome to the Climate Academy! We're looking forward to working with you this summer and helping you to develop a deeper understanding of climate education for your middle and high school students. 

In reply to Elise Trelegan

by Annale Carlos -

Thank you Elise! I am looking  forward working with you as well. I'm glad to be part of the Academy.

In reply to Annale Carlos

by Pat Harcourt -

Hello Annale - we have a couple of other Academy participants who will be looking for ways to integrate climate change into chemistry; one inviting topic is atmospheric chemistry, and how the structure of so-called "greenhouse gas" molecules allows them to absorb and re-emit IR radiation. As for astronomy, there is a really cool connection with climate change - research on past climates indicates that the changes in Earth's axial tilt and the shape of Earth's orbit were responsible for significant changes in past climates, including the periodic glaciations of the ice ages. I think you will find some suitable topics to work with as we go through the course!