2. Introduction of Academy Colleagues

Hello everyone!

Hello everyone!

by Karen Doerrler -
Number of replies: 3

I'm Karen, and I teach Honors Biology and IB Environmental Systems & Societies at Watkins Mill HS in Gaithersburg MD.  I had been a middle school science teacher for 16 years, and just FINALLY graduated to high school two years ago.  This school year held many firsts for me:  1) teaching an IB course, 2) teaching upperclassmen, and 3) teaching biology to two classes of lower level English Language Learners.  It's been a good year, but I realize that there's a lot that I don't know.  I'm taking this course to deepen my understanding of climate change to better engage my IB students, but I hope to also incorporate some climate instruction in to the Honors Biology course.

In reply to Karen Doerrler

Re: Hello everyone!

by Elise Trelegan -

Hi Karen! Thanks for joining us here in the Academy. I'm sure that with your 16 years of teaching experience you'll have a lot to bring to this course and you'll also walk away with lots of new ideas for integrating climate education into your classes. We're looking forward to working with you! 

by Martha Peller -

Hi Karen! I also am a former middle school teacher recently turned high school teacher. I have enjoyed the upper level students, but realize I need creative ways to engage them in tough topics like climate change. I look forward to learning with you! 

by Pat Harcourt -

Hello Karen, a majority of teachers these days have English language learners integrated into their classes. We will do our best to include ideas about how to present information and guide students in ways that will make sense for those just learning English. In my experience, setting up active learning situations is a useful approach for helping students engage with concepts and practices with out being too dependent on technical science vocabulary. Please raise this issue in our discussions - I think we will all benefit from sharing ideas.