2. Introduction of Academy Colleagues

Introduction

Introduction

by Martha Peller -
Number of replies: 3

Hi everyone! My name is Martha Peller. I am a high school science teacher in Wilkesboro, North Carolina. Wilkesboro is a rural area about two hours north of Charlotte. I teach Earth and Environmental Science as well as Physical Science.  I know I will be a long way from home this summer - but I love to travel and experience new things so I figured I would give this a go.

I joined the academy to gain insight into climate change education. Climate change is a topic that I am incredibly passionate about, but do not have a wealth of knowledge on. I hope to learn where to find scientific data regarding climate change, ways to help my students analyze that data, and most importantly how to teach climate change in a way that will leave my students feeling empowered to make a change and not feel hopeless. 

In reply to Martha Peller

Re: Introduction

by Anna Bella Sy -

Hi Martha! I also have the same reason why I joined the academy to find data or other resources that could be a great help for my teaching profession. I am looking forward to meet you and I hope that you will have a safe travel.

by Elise Trelegan -

Welcome to the Academy, Martha! We're looking forward to working with you and hope that you'll find some of the resources here on the online component helpful and we'll be putting many of those ideas into practice and diving deeper when we meet this summer.

by Sebastian Weeks -

Hi Martha,

Could not agree more about the 3 points you highlighted in terms of what you hope to learn, particularly about empowerment. It's too easy to be cynical and as teachers, we especially need to be the optimists and make that optimism contagious!