2. Introduction of Academy Colleagues

Greetings Academy Colleagues!

Greetings Academy Colleagues!

by Adilah WutohBaylor -
Number of replies: 8

I am Adilah Wutoh-Baylor.  I teach Literacy/ELA in Prince George's County Public Schools.  I have been the Green School Coordinator for 12 years at my school and led us through 2 Maryland Green School Certifications.  I am late joining the discussion because my green team, E-SWAT is  constructing a 6x9 ft mural of a scene from The Lorax on a school building side that backdrops our butterfly garden and the rain, as wonderful as it is, has caused us setbacks. I have been a little overwhelmed with this task added to my normal duties as a teacher, mom, and grand-mom.

Next year, I will teach middle school science.  As echoed in other posts, I hope to gain from this academy knowledge of engaging and effective ways to teach climate change and assess student learning and to develop a better understanding of climate change for myself as a teacher/global citizen.

Please include me in any plans for bike trails.

In reply to Adilah WutohBaylor

Re: Greetings Academy Colleagues!

by Kathy Clowe -

The project that you are working on sounds great! Please bring pictures to the class, so that we can all see what you have done.  :)

by Christopher Petrone -

Adilah,

The mural project (and adjacent butterfly garden) sounds awesome, but no doubt stressful! I think you will find that the academy will provide the strategies and activities you are looking for. We won't directly address assessment, but given the incredible teaching experience in the room, I'm confident that beneficial discussions will be had throughout the academy. See you in a few weeks!

Chris

by Elise Trelegan -

Hi Adilah! Welcome to the Academy and WOW - sounds like an incredible project that you are working on! Did one of your schools achieve Green School status this year?/were you at the MAEOE Youth Summit last week? Perhaps we met if you stopped by the NOAA Build-a-Buoy station under the pavilion. Anyways looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks! 

In reply to Elise Trelegan

by Adilah WutohBaylor -

Hi Elise,

Next year my school re-certifies.  We have been very active at the Youth Summits in the past.  However, NOAA presenters have helped us achieve our Green School status.  Marine scientists from NOAA, Felipe Arzayus, Patrick Lynch, and Kathleen Szieper Wynter presented a course to our middle school about sustainable fisheries in May 2014.  It was very informative.  I have great appreciation for the research and work that happens in NOAA.

Truly,

Adilah 

by Christopher Petrone -

Adilah,

I just posted some info on biking around Lewes. Check it out: https://cbexapp.noaa.gov/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1048, and let me know if you have any questions.

Chris

by lynn Faulkner -

Hi Adilah, 

Hoping that you are able to come to SERC on Tuesday.  Would be nice to do a reunion with the folks who did the outdoor investigation with us all together.  Also would love to see the mural that your kids finished at the school of the Lorax.  

Cheers, Lynn