2. Introduction of Academy Colleagues

Hello, all. Greetings from Western Maryland.

Hello, all. Greetings from Western Maryland.

by Michael Burkett -
Number of replies: 9

My name is Mick Burkett and I teach AP Bio and other life science courses in Cumberland, MD.  I also teach STEM courses, Science Chair, blah blah blah... and love to bike.

Looking forward to learning EFFECTIVE and ENGAGING ways to teach about climate change to my students AND colleagues.  We live in a tough political environment here in Cumberland.

In reply to Michael Burkett

Re: Hello, all. Greetings from Western Maryland.

by Carole Blake -

What HS in Cumberland? I have family there.

In reply to Carole Blake

by Michael Burkett -

Hi, Carole, Bishop Walsh School.  I taught Anna Blake a while ago.

by Carole Blake -

Anna Blake? Don't know her, but we may be related. My dad had 8 uncles and we don't know any of them!

My cousin's kids that went there for awhile. I think they are in public school now. See you in June.

by Pat Harcourt -

Hello and welcome, Mick! It sounds as though you do all types of science at your school. That is great, since I see science as naturally integrated across disciplines in the natural world.

You may want to bring your bike to the Academy in-person session, since there are some lovely places to bike around Lewes. I look forward to meeting you in June!

Pat

In reply to Pat Harcourt

by Christopher Petrone -

Hey Mick,

I just posted some info on biking around Lewes. Check it out: https://cbexapp.noaa.gov/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1048, and let me know if you have any questions.

Chris

In reply to Christopher Petrone

by Michael Burkett -

Thanks, Chris!  My family likes to vacation at Cape Henlopen, in fact, we'll be camping their one week before our in-person workshop!  Best, Mick.

by SEQUOIA WRIGHT -

Good evening, I was wondering what ways you normally used to get your students engaged. Also what types research data do you do while keeping in ming that some of the coastal issues may not be as engaging for students. I ask this because, although we are in Baltimore, my students are not able to go outside so I try to find information that they can use as if they were in a place that was not so close to the shore.

In reply to SEQUOIA WRIGHT

by Pat Harcourt -

Hello Sequoia,

Your question is an important one - it helps students take an interest in the content they are learning if they feel a connection to it, and having a connection with their location is a strong motivator. One technique I have used a lot is to have the students look at maps. If you have internet available, Google Maps is a versatile and flexible tool. Students can look at their location, then look at factors such as land cover - is it mainly buildings, trees, or a mix? and distance to the nearest water. You can use this link

https://www.fws.gov/wetlands/data/mapper.html

to find maps showing wetlands, streams, ponds, and other water bodies anywhere in the US. If you zoom in, you can access information about a particular wetland or stream by clicking on it.

Even though your students can't go out, they can get a sense of the nearest water and how it is part of the landscape.

Good luck!