2. Introduction of Academy Colleagues

Hello!

Hello!

by rachael coffey -
Number of replies: 5

Hello Everyone,

I teach Agricultural Sciences at the Cecil County School of Technology. I have taught Biology, Environmental Science, and Zoology for eight years and am ecstatic to be teaching Ag Science as it is where my heart lives - connecting people to the planet in order to help restore. I am very excited about this workshop and I am particularly interested in how climate change will affect agriculture (and therefore all of us!). 

In reply to rachael coffey

Re: Hello!

by Elise Trelegan -

Hi Rachael and welcome to the Academy! We have a few people on here interested in climate and agriculture... take a look through some of the discussions and we hope you'll provide your experience and perspectives too! 

by Pat Harcourt -

Hello Rachel, and we are glad to have you in the Academy! The agriculture context is an excellent fit for teaching about the causes, impacts of, and solutions to climate change. Ag students are typically very tuned in to natural cycles, so climate change content can help them understand some of the patterns and phenomena they observe. Please share your ideas and questions in the on-line and in-person components of the Academy.

by Caitlin Hochuli -

Hey Rachael!

I just finished my first year of teaching, and in environmental science, I didn't feel like I could give my students quite the connection I was trying for until we got to agriculture.  It seemed to be a huge tie in not only to their community, but also a way to tie other concepts in.  It was really exciting and rewarding to see them finally get it, some for the first time! I grew up in a rural town and always took agriculture for granted, but it's such an important science, as well as industry for us to utilize.

by lynn Faulkner -

Hi Rachael, I am in Harford county and love too the far reaching aspect of Agriculture in all that we do! I love to disseminate food for thought of Climate change and try to distill a bit of it in all of the MWEEs that I do with the Nature Centers and STEM groups that I am in contact with.  Looking forward to meeting all and being very inspired with a great deal of content to disperse to all in our teaching! 

Lynn ;)

by Tia Bossiwa -

Hi Rachel,

I understand the struggle. We are teaching the generation that have a hard time connecting their footprint to our food sources. I am interested in how you would put a spin on the the content provided in order to support AG content. I don;t think we offer AG credit in the city our schools. This may be one of the ways that we could engage our young people.