2. Introduction of Academy Colleagues

Hello Everyone!

Hello Everyone!

by SEQUOIA WRIGHT -
Number of replies: 5

Hello, I am Sequoia. I currently teach at the juvenile justice center in Baltimore city so I teach a little of every science. It's a struggle having various science courses in one class but we make it work.  I currently serve as a content lead which is why I decided to come to the Academy. I hope to gain a better understanding of how NGSS works in the classroom so that I can be a support to other teachers. Through this session I hope to gain methods of implementing these concepts in the classroom. 

In reply to SEQUOIA WRIGHT

Re: Hello Everyone!

by Elise Trelegan -

Welcome Sequoia! We're excited to have you in the Academy and are glad that you are looking to integrate climate education into your programming. As you probably already know, climate is a great topic that fits well within NGSS. Looking forward to working with you!

by Pat Harcourt -

Hello Sequoia and welcome to the Academy! I believe the NGSS is a great approach for learners to really get involved in the practice of science. It should be possible for your students to make some weather observations and observe different conditions on the grounds of the institution, even if they don't have instruments. One helpful aspect of the NGSS approach is that it integrates language skills and math, so it might work well for your integrated program. I hope you will share your thoughts and questions frequently in the on-line and in-person components of the Academy.

by Candice Autry -

Wow Sequoia, you are doing the work.  I thank you for working with youth in the juvenile justice center.  Looking forward to meeting you.  

by Kherry Guy -

Greetings Sequoia!

I am also interested in how NGSS works in the classroom. The full implementation of NGSS started in my county when I stopped teaching science. As a teacher leader in my building, this will assist me with helping the new teachers.

I look forward to working with you.

by Tia Bossiwa -

Hi, Ms. Sequoia,

I am really interested in how you are intending to roll this out for students who are at multiple levels and science levels. Perhaps we can dialogue or brainstorm about your new take on teaching 3 to 5 sciences a day at a level that it makes your students thirst for the next day. Pretty much deny themselves going to any other content. Basically they may just ant to hang out with you in your classroom. 

Kind Regards,

Tia