What are your thoughts on how the content from this section (as well as previous sections) might support components of a MWEE?

MWEE

MWEE

by Anna Bella Sy -
Number of replies: 7

I teach in the City, and I have City kids. I recently taught the water crisis topic to my students and my students were surprised to learn that there was such a thing as water crisis in America or other parts of the world.

I am planning to use the activity that I acquired during one of my professional development I recently attended , the question from the activity was “How much water do you eat? the students will learn about their water footprint or the impact of their fresh water consumption directly and indirectly, as well as the drought in California due to water crisis. I am also planning to have them see a water treatment facility that was near in our school, this will be their investigative field trip activity to tie in to the water crisis lesson. Regarding the investigative question  in our field day at Lewes. How can I connect water crisis to climate change?

In reply to Anna Bella Sy

Re: MWEE

by Joselyn Hermoso -

Hello.... I really like the question: How much water do you eat? This is a great question and at the same time, an eye opening to our dear students and teach them even water has become an environmental issue as well. They will know that water conservation plays a vital role, like your said the direct and indirect  impact on water consumption from homes, schools, work place and all around them. 

In reply to Joselyn Hermoso

by Anna Bella Sy -

Thank you. That is my thoughts too. By doing the activity the students will realize the connection between the hydrosphere, geosphere, atmosphere and biosphere and how it impacts us all.

by Kathy Clowe -

I like the "how much water do you eat" question too!  I have a book that talks about how much water is needed to produce common things in our lives, and I am surprised every time I look at it.  There are so many parts to things that I don't think about because they are not directly in my face.  Such a good reminder, and such a great lesson to give the kids.  Thanks!

by tracie evans -

Me three!  I especially like the term because my students are 4 and this would be soooooo funny to them, and it will be an exiting way for them to learn about it.  I can hear them laughing at me saying  "We don't EAT water Ms. Evans.  You're silly! :)"

by shirley ucol-cobaria -

I love how you engaged your students about the water crisis. Most often than not our students are not aware of what is happening around them and having someone share current events to the students will keep them updated on what is happening to our world. 

by Annale Carlos -

I agree..."How much water do you eat?" is so catchy! It's a good question to activate the interest of the students. 

by Christopher Petrone -

Everyone should visit a wastewater treatment plant at least once in their life. When I was still in the classroom, I took my AP Env Sci students to our on-campus plant. They were amazed. Success!

Like the others, I like the "eating water" concept. It reminds me of a special National Geographic that came out in 2010 that looked at water. It came with a poster that included how much water it takes to produce everyday items: a cheeseburger, pair of jeans, etc.