What are your thoughts on how the content from this section (as well as previous sections) might support components of a MWEE?

Thoughts for informal Ed Program

Thoughts for informal Ed Program

by Austin Conley -
Number of replies: 2

This module really kick started my brainstorming for the MWEE. I would love to introduce the students to climate change data and the methods used to collect it. I think it would be cool to use this data to let the students predict future trends and impacts on the planet. Possibly separate them into groups and give each group a certain type of data (ice cores, coral, etc).

Weather vs climate would be a great aspect to go into as well. Based on just general experience, people tend to have some misunderstandings regarding this subject. It would also be a great opportunity to incorporate citizen science. Students can record local weather data and place it in a database for the museum to build upon as more classes participate in the program.

That's what I've got so far. I'm sure the other modules and the Academy will give me a lot more to take this further!

In reply to Austin Conley

Re: Thoughts for informal Ed Program

by James Rittner -

I'm not sure what grade level or course you teach, but one thing I have done is have students look at data of temperature anomalies, antarctic ice volumes, ocean acidity etc. and develop mathematical models which they can use to make predictions.

In reply to Austin Conley

Re: Thoughts for informal Ed Program

by Christopher Petrone -

A lot of possibilities for the informal world, Austin! The Academy will definitely help with brainstorming. See you Tuesday.