What are your thoughts on how the content from this section (as well as previous sections) might support components of a MWEE?

initial thoughts

initial thoughts

by Carole Blake -
Number of replies: 4

The carbon cycle is directly related to not only climate change, but the effects of climate change. As more CO2 is dissolved in the water, the water becomes more acidity. This could directly impact life in the waters since so many organisms rely on making shells for protection. For instance, oysters could be harmed if the bay is too acidic for them to make their shells. We could conduct experiments in the classroom to show students that CO2 does increase water's acidity and what that can do to the shells of oysters. We can make connections to the bay which is the waterway that all water from our area drains into. 

In reply to Carole Blake

Re: initial thoughts

by Candice Autry -

Hi Carole, 

I think about how ocean acidification will affect the cost of oysters.  I start to go down a rabbit hole, as I think about farmed fish, genetically altered salmon and public health.  i look forward to meeting you.

In reply to Carole Blake

by Roger Lucas -

Hi Carole. I like your idea to investigate some parameters in bodies water. This is a good investigation if you live near a body of water.

In reply to Carole Blake

by Elise Trelegan -

Nice connection Carole. There have been some articles about this in local papers before about increased pH affecting oysters and mussels. Here's a quick piece from Maryland Sea Grant on the development of a task force to track this. Oysters are central to the economy of many coastal towns in MD/VA and would likely be relevant to your students. What kind of question can you imagine formulating for your students to investigate around this topic? 

In reply to Carole Blake

by Kherry Guy -

Greetings Carole,

Your investigation idea for the students is ideal. So many of our students enjoy the fruits of the ocean without thinking about how the climate affects what they eat. This information will help the students to make informed decisions about how they treat the environment and what they are eating.